Museums and Historic Attractions
Beyer Home Museum *
Located 917 Park Avenue. First brick home in the county, built in 1868. Now completely restored and furnished in 1890’s well-to-do Victorian fashion. Annex contains Copper Culture artifacts, old Main Street Oconto store exhibits, carriages and electric cars in urban barn and garage. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Open daily for public tours June 1 thru Labor Day, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Gillett Area Historical Society Museum
Located at 110 W. Main Street this Queen Ann style home, built in 1908, boasts a three story turret and beautiful original woodwork. The museum is open for tours, free of charge, Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 p.m., May 1st thru Labor Day. For more information or to schedule a group tour call (920) 855-6439.
Holt & Balcolm Logging Camp *
Located east of Lakewood on Co. F approximately one mile and turn South into McCauslin Brook Golf & Country Club. The oldest logging camp in North America, built on this site in 1880. Operated and maintained by the Oconto County Historical Society. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Open on Saturdays 10 A.M.- 3 P.M. during the summer.
Mountain Log House Museum
The restoration of this log house gave birth to the formation of the Mountain Historical society in 1999. Fred and Augusta Bartz constructed this first permanent home in Mountain in the late 1880's of hand hewn logs. The old log house serves as a historical museum and information center as well as a memorial to the Mountain pioneers.
Lena Museum & Log Cabin
Located on Maple Street one block west of Hwy. 141. Open Thursday afternoons 1-4 p.m. during the summer. Museum contains area artifacts, displays of interest from the Frigo Cheese Factory, school, general mercantile and a new cabin containing an antique fire pumper, farm equipment and carpentry tools. The log cabin was moved to the site from a rural Lena Farm, donated by the Stodola family. The cabin is partially furnished and will be sure to take you back in time. Contact Carol (920) 829-6046.
Stone Barn *
This rare stone barn was built in 1903, is on the State and National Register of Historic Places, and is one of the last surviving of all fieldstone barns in the country.
HISTORIC ATTRACTION LOCATIONS
Look for the icon!
See map on pages 19,35 & 47 for
Historic Attraction location information.
Chart below identifies sites by number in historical icon.
Sites with asterisk (*) are listed on national Register of
Historic Places (NRHP).
Read about many of these sites and others in the new book,
From the McCauslin to Jab Switch, A History of Logging in Oconto County
See page 56 to order your copy
|1||Holt & Balcolm Logging Camp*||Lakewood|
|2||Lena Museum & Log Cabin||Lena|
|3||Mathey Building * (private residence)||Lena|
|4||Beyer Home Museum *||Oconto|
|6||Boarding House Supper Club||Suring|
|7||Copper Culture State Park||Oconto|
|8||Farmhouse (private residence)||Abrams|
|9||Fire Lookout Tower||Mountain|
|10||First Church of Christ Scientist *||Oconto|
|11||Grosse Residence (private residence)||Little Suamico|
|12||Green Lake Picnic Ground Shelter *||Mountain|
|13||Historic Main Street *||Oconto|
|15||Caldwell House||Oconto Falls|
|16||Oconto County Courthouse||Oconto|
|17||Oconto Post Office *||Oconto|
|19||Smythe Road Bridge *||Lakewood|
|21||St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church||Gillett|
|23||Stiles Railroad Depot||Stiles Junction|
|25||Stone Barn *||Chase|
|26||Gillett Area Historical Society Museum||Gillett|
|27||Copper Culture Museum*||Oconto|